Cellar Door Tour & Tasting Guide
Location: Rathfinny Wine Estate, Alfriston, East Sussex. The applicant should be prepared to travel off site to training courses.
Summary of Position
Our Tour & Tasting guides are responsible for delivering our popular Vineyard & Winery tours as well as drop-in tastings at the Cellar Door. This role requires excellent time management and interpersonal skills to develop relationships with all guests who visit Rathfinny. As a Tour & Tasting guide you are also responsible for wine & retail sales through the Cellar Door and fulfilling our online e-commerce orders. Where necessary, you will be required to assist with bookings of our wine tourism and dining offers across the estate.
Rathfinny prides itself on having an exceptional workforce across every area of the business, where there is a shared goal of producing world-class wine and experiences. The successful candidate will be expected to actively support all Rathfinny staff in this goal.
- To deliver engaging and educational vineyard tours & tastings (and drop-in tastings), whilst maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- To educate all visitors about Rathfinny and the wider English wine industry.
- To sell our Sussex wines through the Cellar Door shop and by fulfilling e-commerce orders.
- When necessary, to assist the Customer Experience Manager and Guest Relations Manager by taking bookings for other wine tourism offerings on the estate including dining.
- To keep a clean, tidy work area including glassware for tastings.
- To the best of your ability, ensure all health and safety, security and emergency policies are adhered to.
- To have an excellent understanding of the operations around the production of our wines.
- Experience in a customer service/retail/hospitality role.
- WSET Level 2 or above desirable.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Excellent communication skills and being at ease with the public.
- A willingness to learn about viticulture and winemaking.
- Good computer skills.
- An ability to work closely, supportively and flexibly with other staff members.
- A willingness and ability to drive (expenses covered) to undertake occasional jobs is an advantage.
- Weekend work will be required.
- A passion for wine a must!
- The successful applicant will receive full training on how to conduct our tours & tastings and on all products, merchandise and procedures.
- An induction day to tour the vineyard, winery, production, wine tourism facilities, and a tasting of our Sussex wines is available to ensure you have a good understanding of the Estate and the vision of Rathfinny.
- There may be times when you are required to attend a training course which is either held on-site or off-site.
- Health and Safety training via our online health and safety platform may be required.
Hours of Work
- This is a part time position worked on a rota basis, so that weekends, evenings, bank and school holidays will be included.
- At times it may be necessary for you to work additional hours, sometimes at short notice, to cover a colleague’s sickness, holidays or training; flexibility in this area is an advantage.
- Additional work hours will be paid at your normal hourly rate.
- Being punctual and prepared to start your shift on time is essential.
- At Rathfinny we work very much as a team. The successful applicant must be prepared to support other work colleagues and may be required to take on extra or different tasks to help support others.
- A happy, welcoming approach to all customers either by phone, email or in person, is essential.
- You may be required to wear some items of your own clothing. At all times personal appearance should be professional and in accordance with Rathfinny Wine Estate Policy.
- All staff, as Ambassadors of Rathfinny Wine Estate, are to adhere to the highest level of customer service.
- All of our customers are to be treated with care, consideration and respect while they are provided with an unforgettable shopping/visiting experience.
- At all times the customer should be put before any other duties.
- The successful applicant will need to have a good understanding of English wine and the industry (training provided). You will be required to answer customer queries relating to our Vineyard and Winery operations.
Rathfinny is committed to the values of B Corp where business balances purpose and profit. We are legally required to consider the impact of decisions on our workers, customers, suppliers, community and the environment. As an employee you will be asked to contribute to this process and have a positive social and environmental impact.
Submit your current curriculum vitae and covering letter addressing the position requirements to email@example.com.
Please ensure you outline your Right to Work in the UK.
ABOUT RATHFINNY WINE ESTATE
Rathfinny Wine Estate was established in 2010 with the express intention of producing some of the finest sparkling wine in the world.
Currently, 230 acres of vineyards are already planted out and on site there is a state-of-the art winery with production and storage facility; there is also an award-winning restaurant and a variety of accommodation. Rathfinny’s wine is sold throughout the UK and is also exported to Europe and Asia. Additionally, a small amount of still wine is still produced under the Cradle Valley label and the Seven Sisters range produces gin, brandy & vermouth.
Rathfinny is working towards a diverse environment and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.