This recipe serves 8 and is suitable for vegetarians and has a gluten-free option.
2 tablespoons of extra virgin rapeseed oil.
2kg of white onion, thinly sliced.
4 garlic cloves, grated.
250ml Cradle Valley white wine.
2.5l good quality vegetable stock.
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated.
4-8 slices French bread (depending on size), toasted.
280g Olde Sussex Cheddar, finely grated.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add 2kg of thinly sliced onions with a pinch of sea salt and the cumin seeds and fry on a low heat with the lid on for approximately 1 hour approx until soft, stirring frequently.
- The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don’t burn.
- Add the 4 grated garlic cloves, Dijon mustard, nutmeg and Cradle Valley wine and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Toast 4-8 slices of French bread (or any bread of your choice). Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls. Put a slice or two of toast on top of the bowls of soup, and pile on 140g finely grated Olde Sussex Cheddar. Grill until melted. Alternatively, you can complete the toasts under the grill, then serve them on top.
Enjoy with a glass of our Cradle Valley Pinot Blanc/Pinot Gris wine.